Columbia University’s Tutoring and Learning Center (TLC) is a tutoring program created to improve high-school students' academic performance in math and overall college readiness. Columbia University students are trained as tutors for students in partner schools focusing on providing individualized, high-quality after-school tutoring that complements and supports education in the classroom and aims to narrow the achievement gap.
How We Do It
- Provide face-to-face and online math tutoring of the highest quality to high school students in public schools in the Harlem neighborhood.
- Create a vibrant, inclusive, and supportive community that fosters academic achievement and intellectual development for both high school students and tutors.
- Partner with teachers to ensure that our services complement and support education in the classroom.
- Train our tutors and provide ongoing supervision and mentoring so that they can become excellent teachers and role-models.
- Evaluate our program rigorously so as to improve our services as quickly and effectively as possible.